A joke about dating a zoo keeper was voted the funniest joke of this year's Edinburgh Fringe Festival.
Each year, a group of leading comedy critics spend hours watching hundreds of shows to find the funniest joke.
That year, the award went to Lorna Rose Treen with her one-liner, “I started dating a zoo keeper — but it turned out he was a cheetah.”
After critics narrowed down their top 10 jokes, 2,000 people voted on them anonymously.
Treen won with 44% of the vote.
The others included jokes about British identity, inflation, and someone's grandma. They were:
- The most British thing I've ever heard? A lady who said, “I'm sorry, but I don't apologize.” (Liz Guterbock 41%);
- Last year I had a great joke about inflation. But that's hardly worth it now. (Amos Gil 40%);
- When women gossip, we are called bitchy; but when men do it, it's called a podcast. (Sikisa 34%);
- I thought I'd start with a joke about the Titanic – just to break the ice. (Masai Graham 33%);
- How do celiac Germans greet each other? gluten day. (Frank Lavender 32%);
- My friend was locked in a coffee house overnight. Now he only goes to Starbucks, not to the competitors. He has Costa phobia. (Roger Swift 29%);
- I took part in the How Not To Give Up competition and won by a wide margin. (Bennett Arron 29%);
- Nationwide must have looked pretty silly when they opened their first store. (William Stone 28%);
- My grandma describes herself as in her ‘end years', which I love because they're great films. (Daniel Foxx 26%);
In addition to the Dave Funniest Joke of the Fringe award, Treen has won the Chortle's Best Newcomer award and two gongs at the 2022 Funny Women Awards.
In response to her latest award, Treen said: “I'm over the moon to have won Dave's best joke! Are you kidding! I can't wait to tell my mom!”
“It's such a wonderful pleasure to be able to debut at the Edinburgh Fringe this year and it's a beautiful thing too. A huge thank you for giving my silly joke that title!”
Read more from Sky News:
Comedy Pet Photography Awards Winner
Woman is attacked by snake and hawk at the same time
Police say there is something suspicious behind the blackout
Now in its 14th year, the awards aim to highlight both new and established comedy acts.
Past winners include Masai Graham, Ken Cheng, Olaf Falafel, Tim Vine, Rob Auton, Stewart Francis, Zoe Lyons and Nick Helm.