Monday’s explosive – and false – rumors about King Charles’ death have been blamed on the Russian media.

The fake reports about the monarch’s death spread so quickly on the Internet that Buckingham Palace had to react with insight Russian state news agency Tass that the king was very much alive.

Here’s what we know about this latest royal saga that took over the internet (again) yesterday…

Where did the rumor come from?

The exact origin of the rumor seems unclear, but it was picked up by two popular Russian Telegram channels – Baza and Mash.

They shared a doctorate Press release in the style of official royal announcements, complete with the palace’s official letterhead, supposedly from Royal Communications.

It was dated March 18 and read: “The King died unexpectedly yesterday afternoon [St Patrick’s Day].”

It resembled the layout of the royal press release to announce the Queen’s death as early as 2022 – with the crucial exception that it did not appear on the royal family’s official website or on any of its official channels.

Nevertheless, it was picked up by the business newspaper Vedomosti, the news site Gazeta.Ru and the state agency Sputnik.

The latter reported: “King Charles III. of Great Britain has died at the age of 75, according to media reports. There is no information about this on the royal family website or in the British media.”

Then social media began speculating that BBC presenters were dressed all in black (which wasn’t the case) and that the logo had been changed to the same color (it had always been black).

Clips purporting to show the Union Jack flag Half mast at Buckingham Palace also made the rounds – although many other users on X (formerly Twitter) I quickly debunked that.

Another rumor that the BBC was preparing for a big royal announcement added fuel to the fire when #royalannouncement came into vogue.

The BBC did not respond when contacted by HuffPost UK for comment on this alleged announcement.

How was the rumor debunked?

Fortunately, authorities began to pick up on the rumor and were able to debunk it relatively quickly.

The British Embassy in Ukraine published on X that the rumors were fake shortly before Buckingham Palace intervened.

The royal officials told Russian state news agency Tass: “We are pleased to confirm that the King is continuing his official and private business.”

After the palace officially denied the rumors, Russian media also began updating their websites.

What else is going on?

The royals have been at the center of online speculation in recent weeks.

The king announced last month that he had been diagnosed with an unknown type of cancer following routine surgery for an enlarged prostate.

He has been photographed several times since the announcement and visited by Prime Minister Rishi Sunak for their weekly meeting.

Meanwhile, his daughter-in-law, the Princess of Wales, also remained out of the public eye after undergoing abdominal surgery for unknown reasons.

There was already a lot of speculation on social media about her whereabouts when she posted a photo of herself and her three children on the occasion of Mother’s Day.

The image was later revealed to have been Photoshopped, prompting major photo agencies to withdraw it.

Kate admitted the next day that she had edited the photo and apologized for the confusion – but this saga only fed the online trolls.

The Sun reported This week she was spotted at a farm shop in Windsor with husband Prince William.

Kensington Palace has repeatedly said she is still recovering from surgery at home and would like to return to public duties after Easter.

Charles is expected to attend the annual Trooping the Color celebration in June, which is intended to honor the monarch’s official birthday.

The Army initially said Kate would also be present. only to later retract the statementafter he allegedly published it without the palace’s consent.

By admin

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *